Wednesday 23 March 2011

Bit Of A Pickle

I've had these thoughts whirling around in my head all day and could really do with someone's advice who's been there and done it, but anyone's welcome to pitch in. Basically, I've been thinking about the possibility coming out to my immediate friendship group at my college. Only because I do actually quite like some of them, and with Facebook and everything nowadays, it's impossible to avoid the fact that, when I change my "Interested In" box on Facebook to "Men", I'll get questions passed my way.
So, it's only 8/9 weeks til I break up for exams etc, so it's not far away if things did get nasty if I did come out. Also, because my friendship group is quite big (there's about 30 of us in the core of it lol) then it's bound to spread to other parts of the college and people I don't get on with will find out etc. But my main worry is that, if I wait until I've left for uni to come out, then people will think I've betrayed them or some shit. Part of me thinks that they'd need to get over it and understand that it's my decision about when I come out and whether it was right for me or not. Another part says that I do get along with most of these people and wouldn't want to lose their friendship over something like that. Admittedly, I probably won't talk to 80% of them after we've all gone separate ways because of different unis and whatever, but I'm still a bit on the fence about it. Any advice fellas? Much love x

1 comment:

  1. I definitely think that you should tell them before you change the interested box thing. Coming out is big news to people. It's like finding out via facebook that your grandma is in the hospital and nobody bothered to tell you. For some reason or another your sexuality matters to people- all people. The ones you aren't close to can just find out however. You should tell your close friends and family yourself. It's the right thing to do in my opinion. I wish we lived in a world where this kind of thing didn't even matter but for now that's just how things are. Most of coming out is a struggle with yourself. You will find that most people take it much better than you would have ever thought. I highly doubt you will lose very many people with this news. The ones worth keeping in your life will be there for you. I've gone through all of this the past four months. Coming out is an ongoing process. Every new environment is a new place you have to come out. That's just how it goes. Coming out in college (which you are leaving soon) will be good practice for other environments. After all is said and done you will probably be a lot more confident in yourself. It's super awkward at first but the end result is totally worth it. I feel like a new person now. A weight is almost literally taken off of your shoulders. I hope this helped. I know that I kind of rambled. Best of luck to you though. You deserve happiness just as much as anyone else. Another piece of advice is a quote from Dr. Seuss. "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

    ReplyDelete